I always crave something sweet in the afternoon. These oatmeal “cookie” energy balls are the perfect combination of a sweet treat and a nutritious snack. Not only are they packed full of protein, but they also contain the healthy fats to get you through the day. That, and they taste like little oatmeal cookies…
Some ways to health-ify these energy balls:
– Use mini DARK chocolate chips. You get more bang for your buck with these babies. Here are the ones that I use.
– Use natural, ‘no sugar added’ peanut butter.
– Use unsweetened coconut flakes.
I swear, even with these modifications you will get the mid-day fix you are after. I dare you not to demolish a batch of these this week.
How to make these Oatmeal “Cookie” Energy Balls
This recipe is as simple as it gets. These energy bites are no fuss and no bake.
What you’ll need:
- Gluten-free rolled oats
- Unsweetened toasted coconut flakes
- Spices: nutmeg, cinnamon, salt
- Creamy peanut butter
- Maple syrup
- Chocolate chips or raisins
First, mix the oats, coconut, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Next, stir in the peanut butter, vanilla and maple syrup. Then add the chocolate chips or raisins. If the dough is crumbly add 1-3 tsp of warm water. This may happen depending on the moisture and consistency of the peanut butter used.
Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
After the dough has cooled, roll into balls, and repeat until there is no dough left. It should make approximately 10 balls. That’s it!
You can store these energy balls in the refrigerator for 3-4 days or keep them in the freezer for 2-3 months for a cool and convenient snack.
As always, if you have any questions, comments or substitutions that you have tried, please leave a comment on this post. And don’t forget to rate this recipe – I would love to hear how you enjoyed your oatmeal “cookie” energy balls!
Looking for more snacks? Check them out here!
No Bake Oatmeal “Cookie” Energy Balls
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 2/3 cups unsweetened toasted coconut flakes
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips or raisins
- Mix oats, coconut, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.
- Stir in peanut butter, vanilla and maple syrup. Then add chocolate chips or raisins.* If the dough is crumbly add 1-3 tsp of warm water. This may happen depending on the moisture and consistency of the peanut butter used.
- Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Roll into balls approx. 2 tbsp large. It should make approximately 10 balls.