Do you remember eating avocados as a kid? I definitely don’t. But now this 90’s baby eats a minimum of 3 a week.
These traditional Mexican fruits (yes, they are a fruit) have the highest protein content of all fruit varieties and contain a ton of fibre. So you could say their recent-ish increase in popularity comes with good reason.
These avocado eggs are a great alternative to your standards egg-y breakfast, and are definitely a crowd pleaser. They taste great as-is or scooped out on some toast. Make these at your next cottage weekend brunch and there won’t be a single one left!
Baked Avocado Eggs
- 1 large avocado
- 2 eggs
- Salt, pepper & chilli flakes to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Cover a small baking sheet with tinfoil or parchment paper.
- Cut the avocado in half and remove the pit.
- Scoop about 1 tbsp from each avocado half. It is best to scoop wide rather than deep (as pictured) so that the egg cooks more evenly.
- Cut a small part of the side of each avocado so that the halves stand still while cooking.
- Place avocado onto the baking sheet and crack one egg into each half.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper & chilli flakes.
- Bake for 18 – 22 minutes. 18 minutes for runny yolks and 20-22 minutes for more firm yolks.