Broccoli is notorious for having a bad rep. Whether its covered in cheese sauce or soaked in ranch, most of us have had the mindset that broccoli is “icky” from a young age. For those of you that have grown out of your childish ways, this recipe is for you. This spicy, flavourful lemon broccoli is intended for adults, and tastes great hot or cold. It makes for a great side dish or appetizer.
Broccoli is also high in vitamin C – which is super useful if you have scurvy; but also in repairing tissues and helping maintain your body’s collagen (!!!) Some might say that consuming vitamin C is more useful in maintaining your skin’s collagen levels than consuming collagen itself…
Read this if you don’t believe me. Skip to the conclusion if you’re lazy.
How to cook lemon broccoli
What you’ll need:
- Dried red pepper flakes
- Olive oil
- Sprinkle of salt
- Sliced almonds
- Fresh lemon juice
- Parmesan cheese
Preheat the oven and cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil – this will allow for the broccoli to cook more quickly/evenly and will save time when cleaning up!
In a large bowl mix together the minced garlic, dried red pepper flakes and olive oil. Wash and cut the broccoli into bite-sized pieces and add them to the bowl. Toss them in the oil mixture until they are well coated.
Place the broccoli on the baking sheet and sprinkle with salt. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
Remove the baking sheet from the oven, flip the broccoli and spread the sliced almonds over the baking sheet. Bake for another 8 minutes.
Using tongs, transfer the broccoli into the large bowl, and coat with the lemon juice. Then add the parmesan cheese. Let it cool slightly & enjoy your roasted broccoli with lemon and parmesan!
This dish tastes best if served immediately. It also stores well in refrigerator for 3-4 days.
As always, if you have any questions, comments or substitutions that you have tried, please leave a comment on this post! And don’t forget to rate this recipe. I would love to hear how you enjoyed your Lemon Broccoli!
Looking for more side dishes? Find more recipes here!
- 2 heads broccoli, washed, dried, trimmed and sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ – 1 tsp dried red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese (freshly grated)
- Preheat the oven to 450 °F.
- Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Mix together minced garlic, dried red pepper flakes and olive oil in a large bowl. Add cut broccoli into the bowl and toss in the oil mixture until coated.
- Place the broccoli on the baking sheet.
- Sprinkle salt over the broccoli and bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven, flip the broccoli and spread the sliced almonds over the baking sheet.
- Bake for another 8 minutes.
- Using tongs, transfer the broccoli into the large bowl, and coat with the lemon juice. Then add the parmesan cheese.
- Let cool & enjoy!