For years I have been trying to perfect the crispy chickpea. After wasting batches upon batches of soggy peas in the oven, I gave them a go in our airfryer…and the results were a dream! I can’t tell you how happy I was to hear that crunch. And I am even more happy to share this Crispy BBQ Chickpeas recipe with you.
I know I blab endlessly about our Philips Viva Collection airfryer to the point where it is probably annoying, but I am doing it again. It really does make your food taste fried, and in this case, with NO oil at all.
Chickpeas are an amazing source of protein, and they make for a convenient snack when working or running around doing errands. The pre-packaged ones are tasty but overpriced considering that you can get a can of them for under $1. I prefer to make my own snacks when possible, especially when they are as easy as this to put together.
You can make these without the seasoning (and with only ONE ingredient) if you are putting them in a trail mix, or using them as a topping to your favourite salad (like my Tangled Tempeh Bowls). But I must tell you, this BBQ seasoning is the BOMB. It’s also great on popcorn…
Feel free to double or quadruple this recipe as needed.
These Crispy BBQ Chickpeas store well in an airtight container for up to one week.
Crispy BBQ Chickpeas
- 1 can chickpeas (540 mL)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- Drain and rinse chickpeas. Dab dry with a paper towel and allow them to dry in a strainer for about 30 minutes.
- Remove any loose skins (they may burn otherwise).
- Place the chickpeas into the airfryer basket and cook at 160° C for 25-30 minutes, giving them a stir half-way through.
- While the chickpeas are cooking, mix paprika, cumin, chilli powder, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and brown sugar in a small bowl.
- Remove the chickpeas from the airfryer and put them in a bowl. Toss them in the oil while they are still hot. Mix well until coated. Add seasoning and mix again until coated.
- Let cool and enjoy!